Friday, February 11, 2011

Made by hand

So about those pictures I promised of handmade Christmas gifts......
I didn't remember to take pics of everything, but I did get most of them.  For my mother and mother-in-law I made some earrings.  We also bought them some gifts that they had been wanting, but I thought a little something handmade would be a nice addition.
For a handful of our friends I made gift bags.  I sewed tote bags and filled them each with a cookie/brownie/bread mix in a jar, a ceramic tile trivet, and a tin of homemade fudge.






The tote bags are about the size of those reusable grocery bags, but much more durable!












Each tote bag contained a different mix in a jar.  Some of the mixes I used made were Rocky Road Brownies, Basic Blondies, Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins, and Lemony Raisin Bread.  The one pictured is for Rocky Road Brownies....yum!




I found these cute tins at Joann Fabrics on sale for about $1.50 each!


I filled each one with 2 layers of fudge.  The fudge pictured here is Heath Bar fudge.









I also made basic chocolate fudge, chocolate walnut fudge, chocolate peanut butter fudge, and chocolate fudge with Andes mint chips pressed into the top.





The trivets came out great!  Super easy too! 


 Just take an 8x8 inch ceramic tile, cut a piece of cork tile of the same size and glue them together using liquid nail

I also made a couple gifts for my husband.  Shortly before Christmas, we finished painting and decorating our basement bar, but never gave it a name.  So I decided to do that for him!

 
I bought a plain wooden sign and painted it for him.  We decided that the bar was going to be a fun Irish pub, so after much deliberation I decided to call the pub "Son of a Leprechaun Irish Pub".  

In addition to the entrance sign, I also made a set of 9 cork-backed foam coasters for the bar top. 


They're made pretty much the same way as my tile trivets, but with a layer of foam sheet instead of ceramic tile.  I drew the logo directly onto the foam sheet with permanent marker and then sprayed them with an acrylic sealant.

 . 

I'm super happy with how everything came out and can't wait to make more gifts for our friends and family throughout the year!