Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day! Cloth Diapers, Anyone?

So, I've been considering making the switch to cloth diapers (next time around, whenever that may be).  It definitely makes me nervous.  With Alli I only half-considered thinking about switching, and then decided it was easier (especially the first time around) to go the disposable route.

I think I may actually do it next time though.  In searching the web I've found that cloth diapering doesn't have to be difficult or messy. 

Messy was my main concern.  Poopy messes to be exact.  I just couldn't imagine dunking a poopy diaper in the toilet to rinse it off.  I HATE putting my hand in the toilet.  I'm a Clorox Toilet Wand type of person when it comes to cleaning.  When I was in high school one of my chores was cleaning the bathroom....with just an old wash cloth and Ajax powder.  ICK!  I guess after a while you get used to sticking your hand in the toilet, but if I can avoid it, I will.

This brings me to one of my discoveries.  (Sorry, I can't remember exactly who online suggested it).  The Potty Pail Diaper Sprayer Hose . This thing is such a great idea!  No more hands, or diapers for that matter, in the toilet!  I was so excited when I found it that I was ready to switch right then and there.  However, Alli is a little more than 2 and potty trained already.  But we are trying for number 2, so I guess I'm just thinking ahead...way ahead, since I'm not even pregnant yet.

I'm still trying to work out what my favorite cloth diaper is.   There are just so many options out there now!  Much better than when my mother diapered me with the standard thick rectangle cloth and pins.  Those huge pins are scary!  You know my father actually pinned my hip when he was changing my diaper...without noticing!!  Thank God I don't remember because I'm sure it was painful!

Thanks to Design Mom, I've found a lot of great info on cloth diapers.  So I really like this diaper by bumGenius.  It's an all-in-one cloth diaper, plus it's one size fits all! Seems like it would be the perfect solution for a cloth diaper newbie like myself.  Although, the Changing Diapers, Changing Minds program offered by Jillian's Drawers might be worth checking out too.

What are your thoughts on cloth diapers?  Do you have a favorite brand?